What are the causes of premature ejaculation?
There are 2 major causes of premature ejaculation: Physical and Psychological
Common physical causes include:
- problems with prostate
- An overactive or underactive thyroid gland
- use of recreational drugs
Common psychological causes include:
- problems in past relationships
- anxiety about sexual performance (in the beginning of a new relationship, or when a man has had previous problems with sexual performance)
It’s possible, but less common, for a man to have always experienced premature ejaculation since becoming sexually active. A number of possible causes for this are:
- Early sexual experiences can influence future sexual behaviour. For example, if a teenager conditions himself to ejaculate quickly to avoid being caught masturbating, it may later be difficult to break the habit.
- A traumatic sexual experience from childhood – for eg: getting caught masturbating.
- A strict upbringing and beliefs about sex.
- Biological reasons – some men may find their penis is extra sensitive.